Breast cancer ribbon
Breast cancer ribbon is a compaign used for awareness of breast cancer. In this blog, the most common symptom of breast cancer has been elaborated in detail. Please read and get aware.
What is Nipple Discharge?
Today’s redtopic is about Nipple discharge disease which simply refers to any fluid that seeps out of the breast through the nipple of the human body (whether male or female).
It could be either the left breast and/or the right breast. This medical condition is normal only when you are breastfeeding and/or during pregnancy. If you aren’t breastfeeding or carrying a pregnancy, and at some point you noticed your breasts is producing a kind of fluid, then it’s absolutely abnormal with an urgent need for a breast examination.
Now, during nipple discharge, the color of the fluid could come in any form; such as brown discharge, yellow discharge, white discharge, with or without sharp pain in breast or nipple pain.
It could also be thick, sticky, thin or watery in consistency.
Causes of Abnormal Nipple Discharge – Breast Cancer Ribbon Campaign
- Infection; this could be as a result of poor hygiene, (improperly washed brassieres, improperly dried brassieres or wearing brassieres for a long period of time without washing).
- Growths in the ducts of the breasts.
- Presence of fibrous tissues and cysts caused by changes in breast due to hormones. It can be discovered by mammogram.
- High prolactin; prolactin is a hormone that is primarily responsible for the production of milk in the breasts, only for nursing mothers and pregnant women. A high level of this hormone causes infertility both in men and women.
Over stimulation of the breasts/ nipples can lead to the production of prolactin in high quantities.
When the diagnosis has been made Regarding nipple discharge, a procedure would be recommended by the doctor. The procedure is called breast aspiration
I hear you ask, why is this procedure done? When can it be done? Will it be painful?
Breast aspiration is a simple and quick procedure. This procedure is done to take 2-3 drops of the fluid or cells from the breast cyst. The sample is collected onto a clean, grease-free glass slides which is then taken for analysis.
The analysis relating to nipple discharge would help determine the nature and/or proper diagnosis of the fluid to plan the necessary treatment if possible.
It can be done anytime, but preferably during the day.
It’s not a painful procedure.
Preventing this medical condition ( nipple discharge ) with its accompanying discomforts, pains, and/or cancer is possible by taking the following steps:
- Maintaining a high level of hygiene to prevent infection due to nipple discharge. Brassieres should be properly washed and dried before wearing. Avoid wearing brassieres for a 5-7 days before washing. Some women even wear brassieres for a month or even longer before washing. This should be avoided.
- It is important that you check your breasts daily, make it a habit.
Breast Cancer Ribbon Campaign: Regular breast examination helps to quickly detect if there is an abnormal growth in the breasts, and an early detection can save lives
Husbands, check your wife’s breasts regularly to avoid nipple discharge disease.
Wives, check your husband’s breasts regularly. Research has proved that 3 out of 10 men are diagnosed of breast infection/cancer.
Nipple discharge, once detected early with the proper treatment can help prevent breast cancer. Best way to find that is mammogram.
There are 5 stages of breast cancer. Uptil stage 2 breast cancer, the chances of recovery is high. so it is better to consult your doctor at earliest. stage 3 breast cancer, stage 4 breast cancer and stage 5 increases the complexity of recovery. Breast cancer ribbon campaign is doing great efforts for awareness. Not only ribbon, people show support to this campaign by wearing breast cancer shirts, breast cancer memes and also breast cancer awareness month 2017 was among one of the biggest milestones achieved.
There might be some other causes of nipple discharge apart from breast cancer. Also, Benign is non contagious tumor. so, without creating panic. you must consult your doctor.
- Define Benign
benign is a tumor which does not grow or affect other parts of body. It is not cancer.
Also read about genotype of fetus
Written by: Oluwaseyi Olulaye