Diamer-Bhasha Dam is considering to be a milestone for energy and water storage Crisis in Pakistan. It is situated near Chillas in Gilgit Baltistan. This Dam is expected to generate 4500MW energy through Hydro Power. With 272 meter height, It is going to be a tallest roller Concrete Dam in the world. We are discussing the Project Details of Diamer Bhasha Dam.
A brief History
- In 1980, President Gen Zia Ul Haq suggested the construction of Dam.
- The Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in 1998 inaugurated the Bhasha Dam.
- The first feasibility report was published in 2004 for the Dam.
- In 2008, PPP Govt revised the feasibility report.
- in 2020, Prime Minister Imran Khan awarded the construction contract to a Chinese company.
- This Dam is expecting to complete in 2027.
After Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan inaugurated construction work on Diamer-Bhasha Dam in Gilgit Baltistan. As expected, Indian Parliament has rejected the construction of Bhasha Dam over the Indus River.
India condemn the Construction of Bhasha Dam
The Exterior Minister of India Anurag Srivastva, has recorded a strong protest in Pakistani Consulate in India. He further quoted that, “The entire territory of AJK and Ladakh have been and will be an integral part of India. We condemn the construction of Bhasha Dam in our inalienable territory of AJK. ”
Pakistan Government has signed a 442 Billion Rs contract with China in May 2020. The construction contract awarded to a Chinese contractor backed by Pakistan Armed Forces.
Sindhi Leaders Oppose the Construction of Dam over Indus River
The nationalist Interior Sindh Parties strongly condemn the construction of Bhasha Dam on Indus River. They stated that, this dam is going to be the highest dam on the height of 924 meters of sea level. The Sindh, was already suffering from a severe water crisis since decades and this Dam will make Sindh more dry and a dead place.
People of Sindh has the inherited right on Indus River and all its resources. They further demanded 80% jobs to the local Sindhis over all natural resources of Sindh. Local Activists also stated the fear of being a Sindhi minority in Pakistan.
Impact of Dam on Resources
- 35,000 local Population is expecting to affect.
- 1500 Acres of agriculture Land is expecting to affect.
- 30 Local village Affected.
Benefits of Diamer Bhasha Dam
- 4500 MW cheap electricity is going to add to The National Grid.
- Increase the life standards of local community by generating jobs and construction of modern city.
- Opportunity of 15,000 new jobs to local community.
- The project will enhance the local sightseeing that will attract domestic and international tourist in Pakistan.
- Reduces the chances of flood by storing a large amount of water.